The Stick of Truth Don't gaze at it too long!

This article/section contains plot details about the game. Do not read ahead if you don't want it spoiled!

Butters Stotch (born September 11, 1987) is a paladin at Kupa Keep and is one of the six playable partners in South Park: The Stick of Truth and the first one you unlock in the game.  

For Butters' role in South Park: The Fractured But Whole, see Professor Chaos.  

For Butters' role in South Park: Phone Destroyer, see Deckhand Butters, Astronaut Butters, Choirboy Butters and Paladin Butters.


Butters wears a turquoise shirt with a yellow shield on it and pants.  He has blue shoulder pads with white outlines, a dark blue cape, and gold gloves with yellow trim. He also has a belt that appears to just be a rope and a gold crown/headband with a red (occasionally purple) gem in the center and has yellow puffball spiked hair.


Facebook MessagesEdit

Butters facebook message 3 Butters facebook message 2 Butters message

Role (SPOILERS!)Edit

Butters is the first character you meet.  He helps you recruit the three warriors in Call the Banners, and goes with you into the basement of the Inn of the Giggling Donkey.  He is a boss in the school if you side with the elves. He helps attack Clyde's Fortress and fights the final boss.


Butters is one of the first available allies in the game, available right after The New Kid in Town. He's able to take attacks with his higher than average HP and deal armor-piercing damage, along with bonus Holy-elemental damage on perfect strikes, good against enemies like Nazi Zombies. He also comes with his own special attacks, a single "perk," and a Buddy Ability, which uses none of his PP.

Name Description Effect Type Icon Picture
Born Victim Butters is just so innocent he naturally makes people want to punch him. Enemies are twice as likely to attack him in combat. (33% chance for the New Kid to be attacked, 66-67% for Butters to be attacked.) Enemies are more likely to attack Butters, saving your HP. Keep an eye on his own HP pool though, for when he goes down, you're next! Perk
Born Victim
Healing Touch Butters steels the New Kid's resolve, restoring HP. Butters heals the New Kid by 15% of his maximum HP x3, for a maximum of 45%. Buddy Ability
Healing Touch
Butters healing
Hammer of Justice Butters hurls his hammer at a single melee target, making them Pissed Off. Great against armor. Butters hurls his hammer at any target in melee distance, inflicting Pissed Off. Prevents the enemy from using Special attacks and they only target the one who pissed them off. Ability
Hammer of Justice
Butters Hammer of Justice
Hammer of Storms Butters smites all targets in a column with massive Shock damage. Butters electrocutes all enemies in a single column with Shock damage that pierces armor. Ability
Hammer of Storms
Butters Hammer of Storms
Professor Chaos Butters transforms into the evil genius Professor Chaos and unleashes a random devastating attack. Butters transforms into Professor Chaos and chooses one of 5 random attacks below. Ability
Professor Chaos
Butters wheel of fate

Professor Chaos attacksEdit

When Butters becomes Professor Chaos, there's a possibility for any of these 5 attacks to be chosen from the wheel of fate.

Life Drain - Butters causes intense non-elemental damage to all enemies, and restores HP to himself and the New Kid equal to the damage done to all the opponents. Good if you're low on potions/losing and need a quick turnaround in battle.
Butters life drain
Chaos Cloak - Butters shields himself and the New Kid with his cloak, giving them 9 shields to prevent all damage. This stacks on top of previous shields, if any. When melee enemies attack these shields, they take slight damage, as if both are Riposting. Good if you need recovering time.
Butters professor chaos
Chaos Blast - Butters blasts all opponents with a non-elemental attack to pierce all defense and cause high damage. Good against Armored enemies.
Butters chaos blast
Hammer of Chaos - Butters summons a massive hammer to smash every opponent for moderate damage once, inflicting Stun along with it. Good if you need to recover HP.
Butters hammer of chaos
Chaos Storm - Butters zaps up to five random targets with energy bolts, sometimes hitting more than once depending on the chance. Good against shields.
Butters chaos storm



  • Like all Buddy boss battles, Butters has an exclusive ability called "Shield of Righteousness". This ability shields Butters for 5 hits, and can regenerate.
    • His shield is also not seen anywhere else.
  • As a boss, the ability "healing touch" can be used on Butters himself rather than others only, and removes all the debuffs inflicted.
  • The jewel in Butters' headband regularly changes color from red to purple and vice versa.
  • Butters (and Stan) refers the "Carrier Raven" as simply "Twitter". This causes Cartman (and Kyle) to correct them.
  • Butters' special ability "Hammer of Storms" is a reference to Thor's ability from Marvel.
  • Butters is the first:
    • Character from the show to appear (2nd if you count Cartman in the prologue)
    • Friend on the Friends List
    • Buddy to join The New Kid
    • Buddy to be featured in The New Kid's house
  • Butters is the only Buddy that doesn't give either side quests or main quests.

KKK Members
The New Kid | Eric Cartman | Kenny McCormick | Clyde Donovan | Butters Stotch | Craig Tucker | Tweek Tweak | Goth Kids | Fosse McDonald | Token Black | Bill Allen | Polly Prissypants | Scott Malkinson | Mr. Kitty

More Information: Kupa Keep